Degenerative Spine Disease Treatment
In the world today the back pain due to degenerative spine disease has become very common. At least three-fourth of total Indian population witness the trauma of this severe back pain at some point in their lives after a certain age. Thus, it can be termed as the most common cause for the middle aged people for seeing a spine pain specialist and also to miss the working days. But according to most of the spine pain specialists, the lumbar disc disease
can easily be treated with proper rest, exercise and medicine. It is very unlikely for this type of back pain
to become very serious problem that requires only the aid of surgical methods to deal with.
What is Degenerative Disc Disease?
The tremendous pain along the back with numbness or weakness of the legs due to a degenerated lumbar disc is known as Degenerative disc disease. It cannot really be termed as a serious disease as it is generally caused due to the natural alterations that occur in the spine discs with age. The spine discs are normally soft and they act as a shock absorbent. So with the twist and twitch of our muscles they become subjected to a process of wear and tear. This continuous wear and tear of the spine discs give rise to the degenerative disc disease in the old age. Although it can occur at any place of our spinal vertebrae but the lumbar and cervical regions have been noted as the region of most common occurrence by the physicians.
Causes of Degenerative Disc Disease
Although there can be various causes of lumbar disc disease but the most common ones are listed below:
- Slipped disc or the herniated disc is considered as the most common cause of the back pain related to degenerated disc.
- Sciatica, a condition that arises due to the pressure exerted by the herniated disc on the nerves connecting the legs thereby causing agitating pain in the lower back and legs.
- Facet Arthritis or the narrow space around the vertebrae can cause severe back pain.
- Structural irregularity in the spinal vertebrae is another common cause for the degenerated spine disease.
- Osteoporosis, a condition that arises due to old age causes spine fracture hence becoming a prime reason for severe pain in the lower back in the old age.
- Apart from these, there some rare causes too which are cancer or infection in the spinal vertebrae.
Treatment of Degenerative Disc Disease
The spine disease treatment or pain management is one of the easiest treatments and can easily be conducted in the home or at clinic on day care basis. Some common methods included in spine disease treatment are:
- The foremost thing to do while witnessing agitating pain in the lower back which in turn is causing numbness in the lower body part is to contact the consultant spine pain specialist immediately and to start immediate treatment.
- Most common treatments related to the degenerated spine pain are complete rest, proper exercise, medicines along with physiotherapy in the first four weeks of the treatment procedure.
- If the pain does not recede even after four weeks treatment then the doctors may consider pain management or Injection therapy as a treatment procedure.
- The surgical methods are generally avoided by the doctors (Except in cases where there are red flags present) and are considered as the weapon of last resort.